Yesterday, we decided to (mostly – not counting lunch, which was leftovers and had meat) do a Meatless Monday! A hearty lentil stew seemed appropriate. Loaded with lots of vegetables and bright flavors, this stew hits the spot.
I knew I was going to use celery, carrots and potatoes. When I found myself at Trader Joe’s today and saw that they had Delicata squash, I decided to add that in. Then when I got home, I remembered that I had a few baby bella mushrooms, so decided to use those too.
Once all of the veggies were chopped, I put them (all but the potatoes) in a medium-high heat dutch oven, with a bit of olive oil to saute. I cooked them for about 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables started to soften.
Then I added in the can of diced tomatoes, with the juice, vegetable stock, potatoes and seasonings and brought it up to a boil. I then, reduced the heat – covered the pot and simmered for 15 minutes.
I then added in the lentils and the quinoa and cooked for another 20 minutes.
Finally, I added in the spinach and the lemon juice and let it simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes more.
Serve with finely grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese.
Hearty Lentil Stew
Total Prep and Cook time: 1 hour 20 min
2 cups lentils
1/3 cup quinoa
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
6 oz fresh spinach
4 red potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
1 winter squash (I used delicata), chopped
5-6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
6 cups vegetable broth
1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
juice of 2 lemons
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Chop all vegetables to similar size
- In large dutch oven, or pot, put small amount of olive oil – heat over medium – high heat
- Add chopped veggies (all except the potatoes) and saute until veggies start to get soft
- Pour in canned tomatoes, vegetable stock and potatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce heat
- Add in seasonings, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add in lentils and quinoa and allow to cook for another 20 minutes
- Add in the spinach and lemon juice and simmer for 5-10 more minutes
- Serve with finely grated parmesan or asiago cheese