The other day, the oldest child asked for pizza – as I always do when pizza is requested, I whipped up a batch of Biz’s Skinny Pizza Dough. If you haven’t tried this – stop what you’re doing right now now – go and make some and try something (pizza, pastry, anything) with this dough! You’ll be so happy you did!
As I had some skinny pizza dough leftover, I decided to make a blueberry open faced pastry with a bit of it. Blueberries, cream cheese and the most delicious dough you can imagine – sounds like a good time to me!
The recipe starts out by rolling out (into something loosely resembling a circle) the dough and then pinching the sides up to create a barrier to hold in the blueberry and cream cheese deliciousness that is to come!
In a bowl, I combined frozen blueberries, a bit of Truvia, a small amount (just from a wedge) of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of corn starch and mixed until all of the berries were coated.
I added 1 tbsp of whipped cream cheese to the dough and sprinkled on a light dusting of Truvia (keep in mind that the pizza dough is not sweetened, as this is what I had left over from pizza – so, you’ll want to sweeten it up a bit – I even added a tiny bit of Truvia as I was kneeding the dough and rolling it out!).
I then layered on the blueberries and sprayed a little bit of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray on the edges of the pastry. Into a preheated (to 400 degrees) oven it went for 25 minutes!
The result – a delicious, relatively healthy, similar to a danish blueberry pastry! It was a win in my book! A little tart and not too sweet, perfection!
A couple of notes:
- Make sure your dough isn’t too thick (if it is, adjust baking time) – but is thick enough to support the cream cheese and blueberries.
- Make sure you put your pastry on a pan that had a lip around it, in case the blueberries ‘run’ as they cook (you don’t want blueberry juice in the bottom of your oven!).
- I wish that I would have had some powdered sugar to make a glaze to add after baking, that would have made it even better!
- Don’t take your first bite in a white shirt – blueberries stain! 🙂
Blueberry Pizza Pastry, with Biz’s Skinny Pizza Dough
Total Prep / Bake Time: 40 minutes
Biz’s Skinny Pizza Dough (use a portion of dough equivalent to the size of an orange – about 1/4 of the total recipe – sorry, I didn’t weigh it)
1/2 cup Frozen Blueberries
1 Tbsp Whipped Cream Cheese
1 Tbsp (total) Truvia
1/2 tsp Cornstarch
Lemon Juice (equivalent to juice of a small wedge)
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray (or egg wash) to help edges brown
- Roll out pastry on parchment paper
- Combine blueberries, 3/4 tbsp Truvia, lemon juice and cornstarch in bowl, until blueberries are coated
- Add cream cheese to pastry and sprinkle on remaining Truvia
- Add blueberries on top of the cream cheese
- Spray the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray on the edges of the pastry
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes
One thought on “Blueberry Pizza Pastry, using Biz’s Skinny Pizza Dough”