I have been on a bit of an apple kick – but, I also recently bought some peaches when I was at the grocery store, so I thought that I’d do something with the peaches and one of the apples that I had on hand. Originally, I thought about a traditional pie – but, decided to do a rustic tart, instead.
In addition to the peaches and the apples, I had some delicious peach jam that I decided to use in this recipe – just 2 tablespoons, but it made such a huge impact in the flavor!
I started by slicing up the peaches and the apples (pretty thinly) and then tossing them with the cinnamon, sugar and corn starch. I set the mixture aside, to let it macerate while I prepped the rest of the tart.
I heated up the peach jam, in the microwave, just to thin it out a bit.
After rolling out the pie crust (you’ll want to let it get about to room temperature, to make it easier to work with), I added a bit of the peach jam to the bottom, then piled on the fruit mixture, topped with the remaining peach jam (it’s thin enough to just pour over, after microwaving for a few seconds) turning the edges of the pie crust up over the fruit. As a finishing touch, I applied an egg wash (just a whisked egg, with a bit of water) to the edges of the tart and topped with about 1 tbsp sugar – spreading the sugar over the edges of the tart and the exposed fruit.
I baked the tart in a 400 degree oven, for about 30 minutes – or until the pie crust was golden brown.
Rustic Peach and Apple Tart
3 peaches, sliced
1 large granny smith apple, sliced
1 refrigerated pie crust, let sit out until it is at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar (+ 1 tbsp for top of tart)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp peach jam
- Slice peaches and apple
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, corn starch and cinnamon to a bowl, with the fruit and stir well – sit aside
- Heat up peach jam in microwave, just to thin it out a bit
- Roll out pie crust, on baking pan (I put it on some parchment paper for easier clean up)
- Put a little of the thinned peach jam in the middle of the pie crust (leaving about 2 inches on outside of crust) – keep remainder!
- Pile fruit into the center of the pie crust, keeping the same 2 inches on outside of crust
- Pour remaining
- Fold up the edges of the pie crust, around the fruit
- Apply egg wash to folded up edges, and sprinkle sugar over entire tart
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into the tart
3 thoughts on “Rustic Peach and Apple Tart”
I love your food!!
LikeLiked by 1 person