It is no secret that the girls and I love pasta! We, generally, eat it at least once a week and we like to try different combinations of flavors. But, one that we always love is alfredo sauce – with shrimp or chicken or alone, we love alfredo sauce!
This time it was chicken alfredo. You, truly, can’t get much simpler than alfredo sauce. Unless you’re getting fancy, there are only 4 ingredients in it – not counting seasonings – milk or cream (we like it with heavy cream – I know it isn’t the healthiest, but it’s what we like!), butter, garlic and parmesan cheese.
I started this recipe by cooking my chicken. I tossed it, lightly, in a mixture of flour and Umami seasoning. I added it to the pan, along with some garlic, and browned it (cooking it 3/4 of the way through) in a pan with some avocado oil and removed it from the pan.
While the chicken was cooking, I chopped up some fresh broccoli for the sauce. I steamed this in a steamer basked in my pasta pot.
Back to the sauce – after removing the chicken from the pan I turned down the heat to medium-low and melted the butter. Once the butter was melted, I lowered the heat to low and added in the cream and allowed it to heat through.
Once the cream was warmed through, I started adding in the cheese, 1/4 cup at a time and stirring constantly. I find that adding the cheese a little bit at a time helps with ensuring that all of the cheese melts – and you don’t have globs of cheese in your sauce.
Once all of the cheese had been incorporated and melted, I added the chicken back into the pan and stirred.
Then I added in the broccoli from the steamer basket.
And, finally, I added in the pasta. I mixed everything together and it was ready to go.
When serving it, we add a little more parmesan (have I mentioned that we love cheese?) and we’re ready to eat!
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta
1 box pasta (I used penne)
2-3 chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
2 tbsp garlic
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (don’t judge!)
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
2 tbsp butter
2-3 cups broccoli
1-2 tbsp Umami seasoning
2-4 tbsp Flour
Avocado oil spray
- In a gallon bag, toss chicken with umami seasoning and flour to lighty coat the chicken (adjust amounts depending on how much chicken you are cooking)
- In hot pan, add avocado oil, garlic and chicken – cook until chicken is 3/4 way done. Remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan and melt
- Reduce heat and add cream to pan
- Once cream is warmed through, add in cheese 1/2 cup at a time – until all cheese has been added and is melted.
- Return chicken to pan and stir with sauce.
- Add broccoli and pasta to sauce, mix well.
- Top with more parmesan cheese, if desired, and enjoy!
One thought on “Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo”