A week or so ago, I found the Pumpkin Spice Alouette Spreadable Cheese in my local Aldi. Since then, I’ve been trying to think of how I might use this cheese in recipe – did I want to try for something savory (the cheese is sweet on it’s own) or do a dessert of sweet dish.
This morning, I decided – sweet – and I wanted to pair it with apples. Yes, yes, I know – I’ve been on a huge apple kick lately – my oldest child reminded me of this – but, it is apple season, after all! I have no shame about it, at all!
I started by slicing 4 -5 small apples (I combined a couple honey crisp with whatever ‘baking apples’ that Walmart had on sale, in a bag, last week), thinly.
In a large bowl, I combined the apples with cinnamon, white sugar, brown sugar and flour.
After mixing well, I let the apple mixture sit while I prepped the rest of the strudel.
I used a store bought, refrigerated, pie crust. I just rolled it out on parchment paper, then added 2 tbsp of the Alouette Pumpkin Spice Spreadable Cheese to the center of the pie crust.
I topped the cheese, with the apple mixture.
Then, I closed up the strudel. You can do a full closure by just folding over the pie crust (and put a couple slits to vent the strudel) – or do what I did, and do small slices on either side of the apples and the overlap the slices, in the center.
I then topped the strudel with an egg wash and sprinkled on some sugar. I placed the strudel (with the parchment paper) onto a baking pan and baked in a 425 degree oven, for approximately 30 minutes. Once your pie crust is golden brown, you’ll know you’re good to go!
After removing the strudel from the oven, I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I topped it with melted Cinnamon Bun Spread from Trader Joe’s.
Easy Apple and Pumpkin Spice Strudel
1 refrigerated pie crust
3-4 apples (sliced thin)
2 tbsp Pumpkin Spice Alouette Cheese
1/4 cup sugar (+ 1/2 tbsp for top of strudel)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
Juice of 1 small lemon (or 1/2 larger lemon)
2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Bun Spread
- Slice apples thin
- Mix apples with sugars, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice – set aside
- Roll out room temperature pie crust
- Put room temperature Pumpkin Spice Alouette Cheese onto middle of pie crust
- Top Alouette Cheese with apple mixture
- Close pie crust, as you wish (I did small slices on each side and tried to overlap them at the center – I left the ends open, for a more rustic appearance)
- Brush top of strudel with an egg wash
- Sprinkle sugar over top
- Bake in 425 degree oven, for 30 minutes (or until the pie crust is golden brown)
- In microwave, melt 2 tbsp of the Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Bun Spread and drizzle over top of strudel, prior to serving.