I think we all know that I love a creamy, decadent comfort food. Stroganoff certainly fits that bill. It is pretty easy to cook and it makes a lot – so lots of leftovers (another thing I love). I suppose you could use whatever pasta you like, but I chose egg noodles.
I started by finely dicing 1 shallot. If you don’t have a shallot, you could substitute an onion – maybe 1/2 of a small onion.
Then I sauteed the shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes.
After sauteing the shallot and garlic, I added in the mushrooms and cook them until they were starting to get soft (these mushroom slices were pretty big, so it was about 10 minutes).
The next thing was to add in the beef. I just cooked the beef until it was browned on all sides and added in my seasonings.
Then I added in the liquids, starting with the beef stock (you could use chicken stock or vegetable stock, but the beef stock will give you a richer flavor). I love the stocks from Trader Joe’s.
After the beef stock, I added the heavy cream and worcestershire sauce and brought everything up to a boil. I allowed the mixture to cook for approximately 20-30 minutes. The sauce will reduce and thicken.
At the end, add in the sour cream and mix through well.
Toss in the egg noodles and mix through.
Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
1 lb egg noodles
1 lb cubed beef
8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 shallot, diced finely
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups beef stock
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup worchestershire sauce
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp umami seasoning
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
- Boil egg noodles to al dente, set aside
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat
- Add in shallots and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes
- Add in mushrooms and olive oil, cook for another 5-10 minutes (until mushrooms start to get tender)
- Add beef to pan and brown
- Season with umami and salt and mix through
- Add in beef stock, heavy cream and worchestershire sauce and bring up to a boil
- Reduce heat and allow sauce to reduce, about 20-30 minutes – with about 10 minutes left, add in the sour cream
- Toss in egg noodles and stir through