It’s fall y’all! Doesn’t fall make everyone want apple pies? It certainly makes me want an apple pie. And, all week long, I’ve been waiting to make this pie! Finally – the work week was over and it was time – yay!!
I started with refrigerated, store bought, pie crusts. Certainly, you could make homemade pie crust – and, more power to you!! But, I just went the easy route!
For the filling, I used 8 apples (I added one after the picture!), the juice of 1 lemon, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.
I sliced the apples thin and tossed them with the lemon juice. Then, I added in the sugars, cinnamon and flour and mixed through, ensuring that all of the apples were coated. In hindsight, it might be easier to mix the dry ingredients separately and then add – live and learn!
I then piled the apples into the pie plate, where I had added the first pie crust…
Finally, I topped the apples with the remaining pie crust – and sealed the edges, by pinching together the top and bottom pie crusts together at the edge of the pie plate. I added a simple egg wash (1 egg and 2 tsp of cream) to the top and sprinkled with sugar.
The pie was baked for 50 minutes in a 425 degree oven. It came out perfectly golden brown. And, then, the waiting started…
In order to allow the filling to fully set, I let the pie sit for at least 1 1/2 hours (truly, it would have probably been better to wait just a bit longer – but, COME ON!, how long is one expected to wait around while smelling that deliciousness!).
Easy Apple Pie
Refrigerated Pie Crust (2 pieces – for top and bottom)
7-8 small apples (probably about the equivalent of 7 cups when sliced) , sliced thin
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
Juice of 1 lemon
- Slice apples and toss with juice of 1 lemon
- Mix in the sugars, flour and cinnamon, ensuring to coat all the apples
- In pie pan, add one of the pieces of pastry, pushing down into pie plate (trim off any excess if there is any)
- Add apples into pie plate
- Top with other piece of pastry and pinch the bottom and top crusts together, to seal the pie
- Apply egg wash to top of crust and sprinkle with sugar
- Vent the pie dough, by cutting small slits in the top
- Bake in 425 degree (I usually bump mine up 25 degrees, so you may want to try 400 degrees) for 45-50 minutes
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least an hour and half, prior to serving
2 thoughts on “Easy Apple Pie”
Reblogged this on Crackling Pork Rinds.
LikeLiked by 1 person