It seems like it’s been a while since I’ve made pasta for more than just one. But, that is exactly what I decided to do tonight – and, man oh man, did it hit the spot! It was a hit with everyone – and this is one that will definitely be making it into our normal rotation!
I started by prepping the ingredients – cubing the chicken, cutting the bacon and the asparagus.
I cooked the bacon first. Once it was done, I removed it from the pan and set it aside.
Then I added in the chicken and the umami seasoning and cooked it until the chicken was almost done. There is just something about cooking chicken in bacon fat – you just can’t go wrong!
Finally I added in the asparagus and sauted it for a few minutes.
Then I added in the chicken stock, salt and pepper – and allowed this to cook, covered, until the chicken was fully done and the asparagus had started to soften.
To finish the sauce, I added in the heavy cream and the parmesan cheese. I stirred the mixture well, allowing the cheese to melt.
While working on the sauce, I cooked the pasta (in well salted water!) until it was about 1/2 done. After the cheese had melted in the sauce, I added the pasta to the skillet, along with about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
The dish then cooked until the pasta was fully done and the sauce thickened.
Just before serving, I added in the bacon and mixed it through.
This was a delicious meal and one that I know we’ll repeat time and again!
Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into smaller pieces
1 box pasta (a short pasta will work best)
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 – 3/4 cup pasta water
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp umami seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
- Prep chicken by cutting into 1 inch cubes
- Prep asparagus by cutting into 1 inch pieces
- Prep bacon by cutting into small pieces
- Cook bacon and remove from pan
- Add chicken to pan and season with umami seasoning, cook until almost done
- Add in the asparagus and saute for a few minutes
- Add in the chicken stock, salt and pepper – cover and cook until chicken is well done and asparagus is starting to get tender
- Add in the heavy cream
- Add in the parmesan cheese and melt
- Cook pasta in well salted water, until it is about 1/2 way done
- Add pasta to the pan, along with 1/2 – 3/4 cup of pasta water
- Cook until the pasta has finished cooking and the sauce has thickened
- Add bacon in at last minute