Mexican food is one of my family’s favorites. We have a local Mexican restaurant that we love, but I’ve made a conscious decision to not eat out as much. But – today, I was craving Mexican. I decided to make chicken fajitas.
I started with 2 chicken breast, cut into thin strips – you know, just like the fajitas you get at your favorite restaurant.
I was only adding peppers and onions to my fajitas – I used one red bell pepper, one green bell pepper and one yellow bell pepper – along with one yellow onion. I sliced them all into thin strips.
I decided to use my cast iron wok to make the fajitas – but, you can use any large skillet. I started by spraying some avocado oil spray in the wok. I added my chicken and seasoned with 1/2 of the seasonings that the recipe calls for.
I cooked it just long enough to brown the chicken. I, then, removed it from the wok.
I sprayed a little more avocado oil in the pan and added in my vegetables, along with the remainder of the spices.
I stir fried them until they started to soften.
I added the chicken back in the wok to finish cooking.
Since I was using a cast iron wok, I used that to my advantage and spread the chicken and vegetables out – allowing the pan to give a good sear the chicken and vegetables.
After stir frying the chicken and vegetables for a bit, I used a lid from a large skillet to cover the pan – and allowed it to cook for another 15 minutes or so.
After removing the lid, the chicken fajitas were ready to go.
I ate mine on flour tortillas, topped with sour cream and salsa.
2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into srips
1 onion, halved and sliced into thin slices
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Avocado oil spray
- Prep chicken and vegetables
- In hot pan (I used my cast iron wok), spray avocado oil
- Add in chicken, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp chili powder and cook unitl browned (don’t cook all the way) – remove from wok
- Add more avocado spray, if needed
- Add in vegetables, and remaining spices cook for about 10 minutes
- Add chicken back into the wok
- Cover and cook for approx 15 minutes – stirring occassionally
- Serve with tortillas and toppings of your choice